Personality Development Programme (PDP)
What is looked for?
• Subject knowledge
• Clarity of thought
• Flow of ideas
• Correct usage of grammar
• Correct usage of words
• A neat hand-writing
How should you write?
• Always write in paragraphs
• It’s not a natural but learned skill
• Different paragraphs express different ideas that contribute to the main idea
• A paragraph should ideally contain :
(i) Topic Sentence: it is the 1st sentence expressing the main idea of the paragraph- Say what you are going to say
(ii) Supporting Sentences: they expand the main idea expressed in the topic sentence- Say it
(iii) Concluding Sentence: rounding off what has been said or a logical conclusion of the idea in the topic sentence- Say it again!!!
How should you write?
• Follow a flow of paragraphs
• Always let the first paragraph be an introduction to the subject matter
• Expansion/ support/ refutation of the idea must follow in subsequent paragraphs
• The last paragraph must have a conclusion of the main idea
• There could be two forms of writing- Deductive and Inductive
• You should have good knowledge of the topic to write about
• Read the directions carefully
• Recognize action words- discuss, evaluate, argue, comment etc.
• Focus on the issue rather than peripheries
• Choose words with precise meanings; avoid ambiguity
• Do not use Jargon
• Do not use Slang
• Do not use Cliché
• Do not use Abbreviations
• Do not use Quotations without acknowledgments
• Make tentative statements; avoid definitive statements- it leaves a scope for further discussion
How to prepare?
• Regular reading of:-
(i) Newspaper editorials
(ii) News papers
(iii) News websites
• Discussions with friends and family
• Informational thinking
Topics XAT from past essays
• Gender Imbalance would lead to Third World War- XAT 2008
• Economic growth without environmental damage – a mirage or a reality. –XAT 2007
• ‘India has one of the largest pools of talented manpower, but few innovations and patented products.’ –XAT 2006
• More than one billion Indians: A gigantic problem or a sea of opportunities –XAT 2005
• Asked at the age of 83, as to which of his project would he choose as his master piece, Frank Lloyd Wright, the architect answered, “The next one” –XAT 2004
• To give real service, one needs to add something that cannot be bought or measured, like sincerity and integrity. –XAT 2003
Filed under: Essay writing, Exam Analysis, XAT | Tagged: Essay writing, XAT | 35 Comments »